Monday 28 January 2013

Lag

My alt popped over to Adult Hub Central today and hung around for 30 minutes.  Not once did any staff greet me, or speak to me.  I wasn't the only one either, I would say after me... in the 30 mins I was there, maybe 50 people came in behind me and they weren't greeted or spoken to either.

It was a very good idea of Serj's to tell managers to make an alt and experience the dreadful process of visiting the hub.  It really does show up how awful it is.

On the plus side, I did witness Isabelle doing some actual work ie helping someone.  Now, lowly-peasant-staff-without-an-important-title-about-your-heads, you will know I am telling the truth here.  Those with Adult Hub Owner tags above their heads are the ones that do no work to contribute to the helping of the noobs who arrive there.  They like to wield their power in their special little ways but only so long as it means they can look and feel important without putting themselves out at all.  God-forbid they actually do any work.  No.  No.   I refer back to Leona's Open Statement, who as the Hub manager after me, experienced the problem herself.  None of the people who Serj considers her "Key Personnel" actually do any work other than haughtily swan around with their creepy doll-like nylon hair flowing out behind them.

So it was a very pleasant surprise to see Isabelle actually doing some work for a change with a real noob.  YAY for Isabelle and YAY for the change in attitude.  I think this blog will have a great affect!  Keep it up, Isabelle.  And you try and drag some more of those other Adult Hub Owner tag bearers to spend some time helping noobs too while ya at it.  I don't mean just standing there looking important, either.  I mean, taking a noob and teaching them what they want to know.  Every minute volunteered contributes to the goodness of the sim and I wanna see much more of them in that hub WORKING and not leaving it to the stupid folks like I was, and like Leona who worked our arses off while the important people smiled and nodded at us.  Work damn-it, Work!

But this is a shame...

The sim is one huge great big lag-fest.  No seriously...  I can't moveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee at the place.  Which is no bad thing as there isn't anything to see anyway, but that aside...  I have no idea what it is that's causing it.  Maybe it is indeed the massive art thing, or maybe it is the high rez textures at the rezzing point, or maybe it is the avatars that come in.  

Look at this script data so wonderfully provided by the sim.   This is completely as I would expect it to be.  These are mostly noobs arriving, noobs with no or little scripts...  I was near the very bottom, GREEN.  YAY for me.  Good boy Forceme-Alt.  Then a few oranges which were the more established residents, staff and whatever, but who is at the top?  Tut.  Tut.  Tut.  Isabelle.  Look at you!  RED Not an Adult Hub Owner right at the top, surely doing their best to lag out their own sim?!  325 scripts for goodness sake!  

How is that contributing to the nice experience that noobs (Don't you love that word, Isabelle?) will have when they visit the sim.  You really outta make an effort to reduce that.  You do look lovely and hmm well err, nice all geared-up in your hmm whatever they ares booty-things and cuffs and whatnots, but it is kinda selfish to be using all that sim resource to the detriment of the noob-experience.  And I think it is a really bad example to set to everyone else as the leader of the Adult Hub project to have such a high script count.  I shall be keeping an eye on you young errrrrr lady.  I hope I don't see you at the top of the list again!  

9 comments:

  1. There is a rebuild about to take place that ought to combat some of the lag issues which are inherent in the current design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't need a sim rebuild. The design is iconic. The rebuild is just another example of weak leadership and management skills that think that it is easier to throw away the entire build and start again than to make tough, hard but good decisions about how the sim in ran.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the Freedom Continent been rebuilt now. The lag appears to be just as much of an issue as it was before. I don't pretend to know how to solve that problem, but the fact that a major redesign has not really made much difference to it is somewhat discouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with Forceme, i did visit the sim a few weeks ago and found two things that caused lag. Both of which Forceme has mentioned in this post, the gallery with high size textures (1024 and even 2048 sized) and high scripted people.

    As i see there is a rebuild going on, but really all that was needed imo was to get rid of the gallery (or force artists to use lower sized textures) and install a script limit device that nag people in IM that they are to high scripted, i've encountereds such devices in several gor and combat sims.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll come have a look later Simon :) I'll report an update here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Yeah!

    Yes Yeah... I agree, all it needed was tough decisions being made and actions implemented. Shame is wasn't done. Instead Ruuuunnnnnnnnn!

    Sad to get rid of that original build; it was perfect for its function.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No new entries in 9 days, this was actually quite entertaining reading Forceme; keep it up plz

    ReplyDelete
  8. A shame that the rebuild hasn't helped with the lag, which is a serious issue in that sim, and which I kow turns many people off returning or spending time there. The Hub was a great learning centre for me when I was very new, but that was due to the amazing people I met there. Most of the guides they have there are dedicated and patient, and they're treated in an offhand manner by management, in my opinion. It's really unfair. If those dedicated people disappear, that sim will dry up and blow away, and no amount of rebuilding will save it. I've noticed that it's much quieter there now, which is sad...and many of the regulars who frequented the sim when I arrived in SL (back in September 2012) seem to have disappeared since the rebuild. It's a shame...to me, the Freedom Continent is a great idea being handled clumsily and with not enough attention to detail. Anyway, my concerns are known to management...not that they necessarily need to worry about what I think. It's her money to throw away, after all *shrugs*.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah - I'm in but iz infiltatin' mannnn, gimme time!

    Simonnn, Yeah, those morons and twerps who do all the sweat and blood while management float and treat them like shit? You mean those? B-but, those hard workers have got a lovely green poster now to make them feel loved-up? Can't ask for too much.

    The whole set up was not unlike Bonanza (You're too young to know), actually... the main difference there was that Bull had 20 people who would have sold their socks for him had he asked, those 20 people would have done anything for him, we all worked hard and endlessly... for what we got back from him. He made us feel special and wanted. If Serj had a speck of what Bull could do to get educated and intelligent people to work for months/years for FREE for him and his sim, the hubs would have been a rampaging hoot. In fact, sell the sims to Bull, Serj! Hawhaw! Fabby idea.

    ReplyDelete